Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 4

Breakfast- We ended up skipping our dessert last night and had the smoothies this morning (banana, frozen- mango, blueberries and pineapple with cranberry apple juice.  Girls- cereal, Me- PB and raw honey on Ez. 4:9 bread (I had Kendra and Riley try some and they actually liked it, I was very surprised as the bread is very dry.)

I think lunch will be the death of me today.  The soup for lunch at TLC has sugar in it, in fact just about ALL canned soup has sugar of some sort in it.  GRRRRR!  We walked to Cub and discovered "Amy's" brand soups don't have sugar in them.  WOO HOO!

Lunch-The girls and I had Amy's Vegetable Barley soup (It was really good!)  The girls had tortilla chips instead of saltines.  I had a salad (mixed greens, cucumber, red pepper, purple cabbage, kohlrabi &  jicama), with "Braggberry" (a berry vinagrette I found at the Whole Foods store, very good) dressing. Peas and carrots.  Kendra & Ry also had  a cheese sandwich (on homemade bread), peas and carrots. 
Snack- Me-apple and no sugar brownie.  Kendra and Riley-popcorn, dried mango & apricots and  Odwalla berries GoMega smoothie.

Dinner- We ate at Church tonight.  The meal was sub sandwiches, toppings, chips and ice cream for dessert.
I brought our own bread.  We all had turkey, (which probably had sugar in it, I did not hunt down the cook to find out.), cojack cheese & lettuce.  Riley and I had tomatoes.  I had pickles, black olives and mayo.  The chips had no sugar listed, neither did the mayo.  I didn't check the olives.  The girls couldn't resist the fudge ice cream bars and Riley had Smarties in her class (She was so cute, she apologized and confessed as soon as she got out of class.)  The hardest to resist was the Coke that was included with dinner.  I put my foot down and said "no" but compromised by allowing them to save them for when the challenge is over.  
Snack- Riley had a bag of "Pirate's booty" cheddar puffcorn for snack (one of the few snack items I found w/o sugar.)  Me, I'm having a bowl of "Barbara's" shredded spoonfuls (very good cereal, sweetened with molasses) with coconut milk (plain this time, it's not bad in cereal.)

The most frustrating thing about the challenge today was finding non-sugar equivalent foods.  Saltines? Do they really need sugar?  When I was at Cub I was going to just get chicken broth and canned veg. and make my own soup but even the organic chicken broth had sugar in the ingredients.  I must say I was very happy to find out "Amy's" didn't have sugar.  (I did not look at All Amy's brand soups or other items so double check.)

I am grateful for this blog-log I have going.  Not only are my girls helping me stay on track but knowing I have to put everything here and you will be reading it has been a huge motivator to stay away from the unhealthy choices and eating habits I had been keeping.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment