Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Granola

The basic recipe I found was in the magazine Everyday Food (April, page 39)
Oven 300°
3 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1 cup pistachios (I didn't have these so I filled a cup with whole raw almonds, flax, chia seeds, wheat germ, unsweetened coconut and raw sunflower seeds.  It probably ended up being more than 1 cup after I dumped everything into the bowl.)
1/4 cup butter melted with 1/3 cup honey.  (I also poured a glug or two of maple syrup for flavor.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cardamom (I don't have this so I threw in some cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.)

Mix and bake the above for 30 minutes, stirring every 10.
Add 1 cup dried apricots (I used dried pineapple pieces, craisins and raisins.)

Since the challenge I have to pick out the craisins and pineapple as they are sweetened with sugar.  Next time I will add unsweetened dried mango (so yummy) from Trader Joe's

No comments:

Post a Comment