Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 14

Wow!  We've made it 2 weeks.  I am thinking this is something I want to continue doing for longer than the challenge.  I've lost weight and I feel better knowing the girls are eating healthier.  I can't say if I necessarily "feel" better one way or the other (it's hard to feel better when one is sleep deprived due to a baby in the house.)  Mentally I do feel better knowing that I am not overloading my system with unnecessary sugar.

Breakfast-  Pancakes.  Kendra had a cupcake too.  Homemade rhubarb syrup (SO YUMMY!!!)  I found the recipe in this month's Rachael Ray magazine.  I'll post my twist on it later.

We took a walk to Brueggers for some coffee for me and Izzys for the girls.  We went to the park too!

Lunch-  Kendra and Riley made a matzo and cheese "pizza".  I made spinach noodles with butter and parmesan cheese.  Kendra and I had those.  I also had a pb ball.

Snack- The girls had sunflower seeds.

Dinner- Pasties!  Yummy!  I made homemade ketchup (I found the recipe online healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com) to go along with them.  The Pastie recipe I found in my hometown community cookbook.  I'll post the recipe.

Dessert- White cupcakes with vanilla frosting.  The frosting was another experiment.  I started with butter and cream cheese (I wanted to use just butter but I had some leftover cream cheese softened from a cupcake order I had.)  I added 1 T. of vanilla, 2T. of honey and powdered milk (it was super fine from the whole foods store.  It is as fine as baby formula.)  It was pretty good but not super sweet.  I tried adding maple sugar for a maple flavor but the sugar wasn't fine and left grains in the frosting.  It didn't add the maple flavor either.  I then added a bit more honey which made it runnier so I added more pwd. milk.  I added a T of corn starch to thicken it a bit.  It still turned out runny, but tasty.  The cupcakes  turned out surprisingly good.  I meant to use white flour but used wheat flour instead.  The girls loved them!  I'll note the changes with the chocolate cake recipe.

Another successful day!

I didn't de-clutter anything today, but I did do all my dishes.  I made 4 dozen cupcakes, lots of frosting and dinner.  I washed all the pans right away so I avoided clutter, which should count for something!

No comments:

Post a Comment