Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 15

We're halfway through the challenge.  It's starting to feel normal to avoid sugar.

Breakfast- Kendra and Riley ate matzo and cheese.  I had raisin bread, toasted with pb and blueberry preserves.  I also had a bowl of cereal with coconut milk.

After church today we checked out another co-op.  (It was the Mississippi Market in St. Paul.)  We found lots of sugar free goodies!  Dried pears and peaches.  More coconut sugar (slightly cheaper at Valley Natural.)  The biggest score of the day was a bag of chocolate chips and GUMMY BEARS!  You heard me, sugar free gummy bears.  They were sweetened with agave nectar. The surprising thing is, they taste like gummy bears!  The chocolate chips are sweetened with malted barley and corn.  They taste like semi-sweet chocolate chips.  They were only 4.59 for a bag.  Not bad when I usually make a bag last for 3 or 4 recipes.  The gummy bears were only 4.99 a pound.  We also found a sugar free ice cream.  "Purely Decadent Coconut Milk Passionate Mango".  It was sweetened with agave syrup.  That was expensive (5.99 for a pint, but worth it.  It was yummy AND sugar free!)

Lupper- (That would be late lunch, early dinner.)  We had "goober" burgers.  Kendra and Riley have been watching Andrew Zimmerman on Netflix.  He travels the world eating the most bizarre foods (brains, blood, bugs...you get the idea.)  He did a MN episode and ate at a burger joint up North.  The strange burger was a burger with peanut butter and mayo on it.  We thought it looked kind of good so we tried it.  It was really good!  Riley actually ate more than one bite AND said it was good (she's not a big meat lover).   The burgers were on white buns from the co-op.  I didn't plan ahead and make my own buns which I would normally do.  The buns were white with sugar in them, but they were form a local bakery and only had basic ingredients in them (flour, water, egg, yeast, sugar.)  They were perfect for the burgers.  We also had salad.
My sister came over shortly after lupper and brought us honey cake.  They were super yummy.  I need to get the recipe from her.  It was dense like a banana bread.  We decided it would be great for breakfast in muffin tins.  She made one with almonds and one plain.  Pete came in from working in the garage looking for seconds but there wasn't any left, the kids gobbled it all!!

Late supper/snack- We had spinach pasta with parmesan and butter.  Riley also had sesame sticks.  They both had a sucker for a reward.

I'm making homemade pepperoni roll again since the girls liked it so much last week.  I found some pepperoni at the co-op that had healthier ingredients than conventional but it still has some sugar.  Not a ton and each roll only has a couple slices.  I'm also making more cinnamon raisin bread but with dried plums (I didn't have enough raisins) and date sugar this time.

Snack- I had sesame sticks and sugar snap peas for my late night snack attack.

2 comments:

  1. Here's the recipe:
    http://theadventuresofapril-j.blogspot.com/2011/04/recipe-sweet-honey-morning-muffinbread.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks April! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete